Ljubljana solo adventure – is it safe? Have you ever heard of Ljubljana? Are you wondering, how safe is Slovenia for a woman traveler? I had the pleasure of visiting Ljubljana, and it is a very suitable city for solo women travellers.
First of all, English is widely spoken, making it easy to communicate. The old town is very small and manageable to see in only a couple of days.
After seeing pictures of this magical little place, I decided I had to visit! Slovenia is surrounded by Italy, Austria, and Croatia, making it ideal to travel from one of these countries. I came through Zagreb, Croatia, directly by bus into Ljubljana. The journey was short, below 3 hours.
Ljubljana is very compact, so ideal for 2-3 days in total.
Unlike many European capitals, I found Ljubljana rather affordable, welcoming and diverse yet not too touristy. It is also really clean and felt very safe. Throughout my trip, I had no worries or questioned my safety.
Best of What To Do in Old Town Ljubljana
Ljubljana is brimming with activities! All of which I deem safe for a woman traveler. Below you will find several ideas and links to make your planning easier.
- Central Market: Ljubljana has a wonderful fresh fruit and vegetable market located in Old Town. It’s an exciting place to wander and pick up some locally made honey and other local items.
- Dragon Bridge: One of my favorite attractions was the famous Dragon Bridge!
- Ljubljana Castle: A fully restored castle with viewpoints and a restaurant. It’s a curious cultural point to spend an afternoon checking out the latest art gallery display.
- Church of St. Nicholas – A beautifully preserved historic church in the center of Ljubljana. Particularly interesting church door.
Ljubljana: Where to Stay Safe?
How safe is it for a woman traveler in Slovenia? I found that all areas of the old town felt secure and safe enough for a solo female traveling. I wanted to make it easier for you and list out my best finds for every budget.
Best Boutique Hotels in Ljubljana
- Hotel Cubo This modern and chic hotel is very comfortable and rated highly by guests. Hotel Cubo is located centrally and is a 15-minute walk to the main train station.
- Urban Hotel Stylish and central are words that describe best this boutique hotel! It offers free access to a push scooter for all guests, more information on their website. Walk from the main train station in 10 minutes.
- Lesar Hotel Angel This hotel would be my top choice when returning to Ljubljana. It has character and charm, like no other I’ve seen. If visiting in summer, you will enjoy the beautiful garden patio, perfect for relaxing after a day of sightseeing!
Best Value For Money Hotels in Ljubljana
- Intercontinental Ljubljana Straight up a luxury class in this 5-star hotel. Rooftop deck, with sweeping views of the surrounding mountains! This hotel is new, having opened in September of 2017. Complete with spa and 2 lounge bars.
Best Stylish Saver Hotels in Ljubljana
- Art Hotel Central, cozy, and stylish for this 3-star affordable hotel. Approx. 18 min walk from the central station to the hotel. A great choice for the budget traveler.
- Barbo Palace is very highly rated by guests who praise the staff and location. Clean and comfortable stay for an amazing price!
- Apartments HiÅ¡a Pod Grandom Centrally located, 4-star small hotel, nearby the Dragon Bridge and just a 15-minutes walk away from the main train station.
Ljubljana Solo Adventure With Food: Where to Eat
Bistro Breakfast & Brunch Places in Ljubljana
- Ek Bistro is a great choice for breakfast! Very stylish, serving classics like Eggs Benedict. It is open daily from 8 am to 3 pm, and is located close to the castle.
- Food Porn is a hip and trendy restaurant converted from an old tobacco factory! They have all the classic breakfast items! It is also worth coming back for lunch or dinner if you are looking for a casual, cool vibe.
- Le Petit Cafe This place is highly recommended via the internet and those that have been there. Since 1996, this establishment is serving up some tasty delights from 7:30 am till 11 pm. The ambiance of this restaurant can’t be beaten!
Bistro Lunch & Dinner Places in Ljubljana
- Monstera Bistro in Ljubljana is one of the best meals I’ve ever had. They had an impressive prix fixe menu that changes often. The food was so good I ate here for lunch and dinner.
- Luda Restaurant Absolutely delicious! The website isn’t very visually convincing, but you can use google to see photos and reviews of this lovely establishment!
- Karvana Rog This stylish restaurant can satisfy all your dining needs. It serves great coffee and breakfast, as well as lunch/dinner. Be sure to make reservations.
Trendy Wine/Cocktail Bars in Ljubljana
I was very impressed by the abundance of wine and cocktail bars choices in Ljubljana. Very modern and trendy spots, all very affordable. The most outstanding bit was a friendly attitude wherever I ended up. Safety is my top concern, and I felt protected and in my comfort zone in all the bars in Slovenia. All this added up to why I think Ljubljana is perfectly safe for a solo adventure.
- Vinoteka Movia I visited this place daily during my stay in Ljubljana! The staff is very friendly and really knowledgeable. Wines are locally made from their own vineyard, and severed in the perfect cozy atmosphere. I was there in late fall, so I didn’t get to enjoy the large outdoor patio. They didn’t seem to have a full menu but would serve fantastic cheese and meat plates.
- Å uklje Wine Bar sleek and stylish space serving up a great selection of wine. They also serve food, and the menu can be found on their website.
- B-Restaurant Intercontinental Roof Top Bar the name speaks for itself. This rooftop bar is worth checking out. They serve up delicious cocktails, that pair lovely with the views of the mountains and castle. Celebrate your solo trip with a glass of bubbly here!
Public transport in Ljubljana for a woman traveller – is it safe?
Ljubljana is small and best seen on foot. Don’t worry ladies, I walked around alone at night, and felt comfortable. There is no subway system, but they do have buses. Chances are you won’t use them. The only time I used a bus was to leave Ljubljana to visit Lake Bled.
The site for the transit can be found here. All the information you need for airport transfers and other destinations can be found there. Tickets can be purchased online as well, which I find extremely useful.
Travel to Lake Bled on Your Own
After your Ljubljana solo adventure, I have a recommendation for another safe destination. Lake Bled is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes from Ljubljana by bus. It makes for a fantastic day trip or overnight stay. For more information, check out my city guide! What You Can Expect When Traveling Alone to Lake Bled. Below enjoy some lovely pictures from my visit.